1. Whatever you cook today, make sure you prepare it with love. Read this excerpt from an article called Made with Love that I wrote for the Maui Mama Magazine.
2. Do a gentle, restorative yoga practice today and relish in the opportunities to nurture and love yourself that this inward time provides.
3. Set a timer and spend five minutes doing the following stress management breathing practice today. As you focus on your inhale, allow only that which serves you to enter your body and life. As you exhale, let go of any self-sabotage, resistance, inhibitions, worries, and doubts that keep you from living in your ultimate truth as a radiant, lovable, magnificent human being. Continue this practice for at least 5 minutes, breathing in health and love, breathing out negativity and fear. Any time your mind wanders, just bring it back to releasing and renewing through your breath.
4. Oil your body with food-grade (ideally cold pressed, unrefined, organic) oil such as coconut oil if you tend to be hot (pitta), sesame oil if you tend to be cold (vata use lots of oil or if kapha use less oil). Abhyanga is the self massage practice that is highly regarded in Ayurveda as a daily wellness measure to improve circulation, redirect energy flow and lubricate joints from the outside in (just like the Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz). Focus on the joints as you lovingly caress your entire body. Then leave the oil on for a minimum of 20 minutes before washing it off. Beware that oil can stain, so wear some clothes that you don’t mind dirtying and stay off the couch! I usually place an old towel on the floor or kitchen chair or go outside while the oil absorbs.
5. As you practice increasing your self-love today, notice how much love gets reflected all around you. Spend some time outside in nature experiencing the wholeness and sense of peace that can come from connection with the natural world. The idea that we are separate is a great misunderstanding that leads us to great suffering. Surrender to the truth of your interconnectedness though the essence of all that is (LOVE) and let it begin within you. Read the following affirmations from Louise Hay aloud then take 8 minutes to write about any thoughts that arise from these messages. If nothing comes, write with your non-dominant hand and be patient as you see what your inner child has to say.
- “As I move through the layers of other people’s opinions and beliefs, I see within myself a magnificent being, wise and beautiful. I love what I see in me”
- “I am worth loving. I do not have to earn love. I am lovable because I exist. Others reflect the love I have for myself.”
- “I love and approve of myself. I appreciate all that I do. I am good enough just as I am. I speak up for myself. I ask for what I want. I claim my power.”
- “I accept my uniqueness. There is no competition and no comparison, for we are all different and meant to be that way. I am special and wonderful. I love myself.”
6. Check in with me about your experience with today’s challenges.